Sunday, March 2, 2014

Red Enchilada Sauce

Since becoming a SAHM I've really tried to start making more stuff from scratch. This is one of those items where it's almost as easy to make it as it is to buy it. Or maybe I just don't like paying $3+/can for the stuff up here.

I found this recipe on an online forum a few years ago. I can't like to the blog because there wasn't one. Someone who goes by Jessica posted it. That's all the info I have, and all the credit I can give. Thanks Jessica. I've made this recipe so many times in the past few years. Tonight it's going over some sweet potato enchiladas we're trying out. 

Enchilada Sauce:

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Use this economical sauce to prepare enchiladas or any recipe calling for enchilada sauce.

*Heat oil in large 2-quart saucepan; stir in flour and chili powder; cook for 1 minute.
*Add remaining ingredients bring to a boil and simmer for about 10 minutes.
*Makes about 3 cups sauce.
Store in fridge up to 3 days or freeze if not using right away. 

1 comment:

drgnlvrs said...

a long time ago, I saw a recipe for burrito sauce that simply added a brown gravy to enchilada sauce. I know I tried it at the time and felt it matched perfectly what the local place served for smothered burritos. might want to give it a try, but I can't remember the proportions to mix.