It's been a quiet week around here. DH was gone for work a few days, and cute kid I usually watch on Thursday was home sick.
Decided the specific meal plan was a little too much detail. I'm going to try just listing out what we had. See how that goes. If you have suggestions on information you'd like me to include let me know. Otherwise I'm just going to keep playing with it tell it feels right...
Breakfasts: Most of our breakfasts are FFYS. Cereal, frozen waffles, oatmeal. We usually eat fruit with it. sometimes yogurt. Not a lot of complicated cook for the whole family deals since we all have slightly different morning routines.
Lunches/Dinners: These are really interchangeable to me. If it's a heaver more complicated meal chances are it's dinner. But if it's light it could be either one. During the week lunches are usually leftovers. Sandwiches or cans of soup if we don't have any leftovers. Or breakfast repeats. lol.
On to the list:
Chicken Patty Sandwiches & Sweet Potato fries & garden salad: Just made frozen patties and toasted some bread. Threw on some american cheese, and veggies (at least on mine).
Pulled BBQ pork Baked potatoes: I had some leftover shredded pork in the freezer from a previous roast. Defrosted it in the fridge, then mixed it up with a bottle of BBQ sauce before throwing it in the oven. Threw some white potatoes in to bake with it. Served with garden salad. Yummy and easy. I love easy.
Creamy Crockpot Chicken: I used this recipe as inspiration. However I don't buy mushrooms (I'll incorporate them into my meals if they are in my CSA, but DH is the only one that likes them so I don't buy them). And I forgot about the frozen veggie part until just before it was time to eat. I also use this recipe to make my own cream of chicken soup. And I used celery salt instead of table salt for flavor in it. It was really good that night and for lunch the next day.
Macaroni and Cheese with Pulled Pork: Yup. From a box. I've made my own before. It's tasty, but boxed mac and cheese is still a staple in our house. Sometimes it's the blue box. Sometimes generic. This week we had Annie's. I steamed some frozen mixed vegetables over the boiling noodles. Once they were done I mixed in some of the leftover BBQ pork from earlier in the week. YDS said it's one of his favorites. He is 4 though. That seems to be a popular phrase for 4yo's. Haha.
Hamburger Roll: In searching the blog to see if this had it's own post with the recipe I see it was on the menu plan for last week originally. Guess it never happened. Love the flexibility. One of these times when I make it I'll do it's own blog post. It deserves it. My mom made this for us growing up. I don't know where she got the recipe from. It's super easy to change up, but always a hit in our house. It's basically BBQ meat sprinkled with cheese and wrapped up into a cresent log. I even searched for a recipe from someone else to link to, but no one makes it like we do. So you'll have to use your imagination until I make it again.
Chili/Cornbread bake: No recipe for this one either. I jumped in and stole some of the turkey burger ODS had browned for the hamburger roll. Enough to fill a corelle bowl about 3/4 full. Then I defrosted some beans DH had previously cooked from dry. No sure what kind of beans it was. About 2-3 cups. I had chopped up the last of the tomatoes from the last BB. About 3/4 of a corelle bowl for that too. Mixed that all together in a saucepan with some chili powder, cayenne pepper, garlic powder and celery salt. Simmered that mix for an hour or two. Then I mixed some cornbread together using the recipe on the side of the cornmeal bag and threw it on top of the chili. Baked it in the oven till the cornbread was done. YDS said it was tasty and ODS went back for seconds. I count that as a successful meal!
Out: DH and I went out for burgers and beer. It was going to be pizza buffet for the family, but the boys didn't feel like getting dressed. So we went somewhere for us and brought them home some food. Win/win
Grilled Cheese and Soup: Not using homemade bread yet. I have all the supplies except for courage. I'm chicken. I keep telling myself I'll try again next week. I need to get going with it or I'll be talking myself out of it because I don't want to warm up the house by using the oven in a few months. lol. DH is the grilled cheese pro in our house. I added some avacado slices to mine as he was putting the sandwiches together. And I did the hard work of opening a can of minestrone soup and a can of vegetable beef soup into the same pot and putting it on the heat. Hard work for that meal. Whew.
FFYS: Yup we had a rare FFYS dinner. They boys split a frozen pizza and polished off the last of the pineapple. I whipped up some spinach dip for me & DH. We had that with some french bread plus turkey and cheese slices. Super yummy. And I used greek yogurt for the dip so it was at least kinda healthy. =)
1 comment:
the hamburger roll came from a magazine in the 70's. It was a winning recipe from a Kraft contest. Of course, it called for all Kraft products, like the rolls, cheese and bbq sauce. maybe it was Redbook magazine... Still love the recipe and everyone loves to personalize it.
Post a Comment