Oops. Habits take awhile to stick and I let this one slide. No excuses. Life has been busy, but it usually is. I'm thankful for that. I don't do well with boredom, and my family is the same. We're all cranky enough with the cabin fever/spring fever setting in so strong.
We haven't done any exciting breakfasts. Lots of cereal, oatmeal and basic scrambled eggs with whatever veggies and meat are available.
Hmmm.. Looking back at the menu (I track it on my google calendar) there have been a lot of throw together meals for this too!! Creative? Lazy? Little of both? Probably. =) You'll see a lot of spinach salad for the veg. It's a favorite here.
Taco Toasters: I toasted bread slices, then loaded them up with leftover taco meat and some shredded cheese. We were out of tortillas. Spinach salad on the side
Pasta with Chicken: I have recently discovered extra discount amazon offers to Subscribe & Save products. I got whole wheat organic pasta for like $1/box. And it's yummy! Paired that with jarred sketti sauce, frozen chicken patties and spinach salad on the side.
Tot Nachos: I baked some tots then layered them up with defrosted Taco Meat and shredded cheese. spinach salad on the side. I was going to bake it into a casserole, but decided this would probably be less calories.
Corned Beef: St. Patty's Day. How do you NOT do this? We're not Irish, it's just fun. I threw a frozen corned beef in the crockpot around 10am. Sprinkled the packet over it and put two 1/4 head of cabbage in there with it to cook on low all day. About an hour before dinner I oiled up some chopped potatoes & carrots plus the other 1/2 head of cabbage and roasted them in the oven. We had leftover cornbread with it. There was just enough leftover meat to use some in scrambled eggs the next day. Mmm....
Creamed Ham on Cornbread: I've made this before and it's always a hit. Easy to make too. It's wonderful when you have tons of leftover ham and you're tired of all the 'normal' meals.
Turkey hot bake: I wasn't really sure what to call this. It was supposed to be Turkey Pot Pie, but I forgot to get pie crusts. So instead I made the filling and topped it with bisquick dumplings. For the filling I used defrosted turkey broth to make a cream of soup. Then I added defrosted shredded turkey and 1/2 bag of frozen veggies.
Pork Chops: Nothing too exciting. I chopped up some yellow potatoes and carrots. I gave them a light coat of Olive Oil and sprinkled them with a Jerk seasoning mix. I gave the chops a light coat of the seasoning, put them on the potatoes and baked them for 45 min or so @ 375. Tasty and easy.
Buffalo Chicken Salad: I had some buffalo marinade sitting in the fridge waiting to be finished off. I threw some frozen chicken breast chunks in the crockpot then covered them with the marinade. At dinner time all I had to do was use a slotted spoon to put this chicken on the salads. Yum. I did rinse YDS' chicken off in the sink before giving it to him since he's not a huge fan of 'spicy'.
Tilapia: We buy the frozen fillets from Costco. So easy to work with. I defrost them in the fridge the day before we're planning on cooking them. I lightly oiled chopped potatoes and carrots then seasoned them with salt and pepper before baking(roasting?) them at 375 for 45 min. About 30 minutes in on this I sprinkled some Old Bay seasoning on both sides of the fish before adding them to the baking pan.
Chili: My grocery store had 'chili meat' on clearance for a few weeks. It was in the frozen section for $.99/lb. Not something I'd normally buy, but I got curious. It worked really well for this. I just cooked that in my big pot, then I added a bunch of chopped sweet peppers and tomatoes we had gotten in our Bountiful Basket. Added some canned tomato sauce and simmered for awhile. I love chili because it's so versatile. You can change it up to use whatever you have in the house and the leftovers can be used so easily. On scrambled eggs, on potatoes on chips (like nachos) or tator tots. So so many uses. Easy to freeze too. We used it all this time, but I often freeze at least one dish of it for an easy meal in a few weeks.
Indian food: This is a convenience food night at it's best. Lol. Not something we do often. We had an envelope of Spinach Paneer I bought on a whim. It was ok, but if you've never had REAL/FRESH please don't judge the real dish by this processed food. Add some breaded chicken patties and some frozen naan and you're done. It was just close enough to real Indian food to hit the craving. We were spoiled when we lived in AZ by getting awesome authentic homemade Indian food from my sister.
Broccoli & Cheese Soup: Yum
Wow. That's a long list. Kudos to you if you made it through. Hopefully it gave you some ideas of your own. Obviously there aren't enough meals there for every night. On the missing nights we either went out to eat, had frozen pizza or ate a leftover meal with no variations. I try to only list the food I actually consider cooking and/or worth reading about on the list. Haha.
No comments:
Post a Comment