My friend shared
this recipe with me a few weeks ago. It sounded AMAZING. How great to have something less fatty than using whipping cream, but more natural than Cool Whip. I found a can of coconut milk in the cupboard the other day and stuck it in the fridge just for this.

We used the same kind of coconut milk (full fat) that they did in the original link. It's the only kind I remember seeing at the store here. I think I'd have to go to the 'specialty market' to get anything else. After sitting in the fridge for 2 days our can was mostly cream, with only about the bottom 1/3 being coconut water. I dumped the cream directly into the Kitchen Aid and started whipping it up.

I took a picture of the mixing bowl (5qt I think) so you could see how much it made. This is the finished product. I love that scraper. Not sure what brand. My grandma gave it to me when she came to stay the night around Thanksgiving. I had never heard of 'hostess gifts' outside of those parties where you sell stuff (like Pampered Chef)... I love the idea. How great to bring a little trinket to show thanks for them hosting you. I thought about giving one to my mom when we went to stay over NYE, but I didn't want to offend her in some way since it wasn't something I was raised with.. Did you grow up with hostess gifts?

Anyway. Back to the recipe. I used the cream from the can added about 2 tsp white sugar and 1 tsp vanilla. I thought it was 'ok', but it had an odd taste to it. They guys all said eww.
I added another tbs of sugar, and another teaspoon or so of vanilla. It was MUCH better. The coconut taste was VERY mild. If I didn't know what it was made of I would not have been able to name the flavor. If I could have gotten the guys to try the amended version I would think about making it again. Since I was the only one that ate any of it, I don't think I will be making it again though. Boo.

This is what it looked like the next morning. I also tried a bit in my coffee and was unimpressed. It didn't 'mix' well. Perhaps it would have done better fresh, but this was the next morning.
FYI, the original batch was made on Friday and I was still eating it Sunday night on leftover Angel Food cake. It seemed a bit thicker Sunday night, but was still tasty. I decided what was left would be better 'wasted' than on my waist and dumped it.
2 comments:
The only time I ever experienced a Hostess Gift was from the same Grandma visiting in AZ with the parents of her then boyfriend. The parents were the ones who gave us a nice cutting board as a gift for including them in our Thanksgiving feast. It's a very nice idea, especially if you are staying somewhere for the night or a few days. It is a nice way of saying "Thank you for having me over" I know we'll bring a bottle of wine with us to events, not as a BYOB, but as a gift over and above to the Host. I've heard of gifts at other times, but it doesn't seem to be common practice, sadly. I think I'll try to embrace the idea.
^^^ This being my mom! (and the Gma in both stories being my father's mother) Funny how I never remember Gma having a bf?? Kids are so oblivious to anything that isn't about THEM! lol
Post a Comment