Week1:
5oz Dill
1 burdock root
3 radishes
5x3 square of growing micro greens
11oz spinach
14oz lettuce
3oz coriander seed
.75oz whole dried cayenne peppers
1 bunch chives (flowers intact ~ who knew chives had edible flowers??)
A condiment cup of mustard seeds. I forgot to weigh that one and don't want to get up to.
I see a lot of salads in my lunch menus this weekend/week.
My plan for the spinach is to get it all rinsed and chopped. Then I'll throw it in the freezer for DH's breakfast smoothies.
I'm going to chop and freeze most of the green onion too.
I know I'll use some of the dill for salad dressing, and need to research the best way to store the rest of it. I don't know that it's an herb I've ever bought fresh before... Hmmm. Any ideas?
I'm going to try making burdock root tea. Any other ideas?
DH will have to eat the radishes since the rest of us aren't fond of them.
The micro greens will go on all sorts of stuff and in salads all week once they're ready.
The peppers, coriander and mustard will go in the spice cabinet to be used as needed.
A yummy lunch of leftover taco pasta and a salad of CSA lettuce, dill, cilantro, some organic mango and an organic dressing using dill and chives from the CSA from a recipe in the newsletter. Yummy and MFP friendly (down 5.1 lbs as of Sunday morning)!

3 comments:
Did you get the Cilantro, too? I dried my chives and dill in the oven and will be drying my cilantro later. Turn your oven on to the lowest temp (mine is 200). When it is done preheating you shut it off and stick your chives in (cut small) on a lined cookie sheet for 2 hours. I did that twice for the chives until they all felt dry. And 3 times for the dill. I've used dill on cooked carrots with a little butter and honey. I've also used it in my breading for fish.
Oh, I forgot about the cilantro! Thanks for the tip on how to dry them. Def going to do that!
Chives freeze well too. Just chop and freeze. If you do it in an empty water bottle they're easy to shake out for recipes. =)
I thought about freezing mine, but when I was researching I ran across a picture showing how much less space the dried chives take vs the frozen ones, and I don't have a lot of freezer space available right now. But the water bottle idea is a really good one! :)
Post a Comment