I split a full share of a CSA with a friend (it was slightly cheaper than us each getting our own half share). She got to keep the full share of the CSA while I was gone. It will all work out in the end. It's lovely being able to swap out what each of our families will each more of instead of being stuff with (2 bunches of radishes when DH is the only one in our house that eats any and he only sparingly. And she pawned off the swiss chard on us, since her household really didn't appreciate it.) Nice to not be forced through something you don't enjoy in order to not waste.
I didn't do measurements this week. I am hoping to get back to counts/weights next week. I completely forgot till most of it was prepped for eating this week.
Here's my haul for the week:
- a HUGE pile (15-20?) carrots with tops. I hope in the future to be able to incorporate the tops into our menu, but for this week I had to cut and toss.
- a produce bag (like from your local grocer) about 3/4 full of med size red potatoes
- a produce bag about 1/4-1/3 of green beans
- a head of cauliflower (has a purplish tinge to it?) super yum. I already made some it fake mashed potatoes.
- a few heads of butter lettuce (smaller heads)
- green zucchini (2? 4? I can't remember)
- 2 summer squash (like zucc, but yellow)
- cucumbers (2 i think. i really should pay more attention next week)
- Chard (I chopped the leaves and processed the stalks for pickling. i wanna say i chopped about 8-12 stalks, but i can remember. plus i found a few more in the fridge and i can't remember how many of them were leftover from last week)
- 2 bunches of green onions
- handful of sage (i oven dried them for future cooking)
I feel like it's starting to be a better value for our money. I was nervous the first few times because essentially I've paid $20 per week for these veggies already. I don't feel like the farm isn't giving us a good amount of produce. More that the types/quantity of produce we were getting wasn't what we would have spent out money on if we had a choice about what we got. This week was a bit more in line with foods my family would normally purchase. 13 weeks left. I am excited to see what they bring! It's been a fun experiment in food so far!
No comments:
Post a Comment