I’ve been warning him for about a week this was coming. Every time I told him the PiePie was going bye bye he gave me a dirty look. I kept it up because I didn’t think it would be fair to just spring it on him. G and I were up and eating breakfast already this morning when Bean woke up. I had planned ahead and got donut holes. This first day is needed a few bribes. When I heard him wake up I called out to come and get his donuts. He made a happy sound.. Then I told him to bring his PiePie so he could throw it in the garbage. Silence.
A few minutes later he came toddling out of the bedroom, no piepie. I asked where it was, and he looked at me. I can’t decide if it was a “duh, where it’s supposed to be” or a “oh heck no, I’m not telling you!” look. When I told him to go get it he told me no. So I picked him up and went back for it. The cutie had put it away. As soon as we got close enough he reached out and put it in his mouth. Back out to the kitchen we went. I lifted the lid on the trash can and told him to throw it away. He gave me a dirty look and shut the trash can. I re-opened the trash can, and repeated my request. All I got was another dirty look, but by then he had seen the donut holes. He pointed and grunted, asking for one. I said “Throw your piepie in the garbage and you can have your donuts.” Bam! In it went. Well, actually on to the floor it went, cause he missed. He picked it up off the floor and put it in the garbage now.
It’s 7:05 and he’s happily sitting in his high chair while I type eating his scrambled egg, donut hole, blackberries & drinking his milk. He knows what the garbage is, so we’ll see later if he knows what throwing his piepie away really meant. Nap time is somewhere between 10:30 & 12:30 usually. I’m sure I’ll have more to update then…
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
10:30AM He is acting tired. When I ask if he wants to go lay down and take a nap he says yes and walks to his room. He has Spiderman in his hand, but happily trades me for his new stuffed Buzz Lightyear. Everything is great. Until he lays down and points up to where his piepie’s usually are. I tell him they’re all gone and he looks at me like I’m crazy. Then he stands up to check for himself. Not a happy boy. He starts screaming. He tries climbing out of bed. He’s really not happy with me, but I expected that. After what seems like an eternity of screaming the sobs turn into giggles. WTH? I look over and he’s found a stashed piepie. Now I want to cry as I take it away and say “No more piepie’s, they’re all gone”. The screaming continues.
11:15 he decides to read to himself instead of sleeping. I’m good with this. He reads The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Me Too Iguana & Very Worried Walrus
11:25 he decides I should read to him, and he should be in my lap. I read Me Too Iguana, and transfer him back to bed. He’s not thrilled, but he wants me to keep reading, and I’ve just told him that I can’t read the next book until he lays down. He grabs Buzz, lets me cover him with the blanket and I read him Me Too Iguana. Then he wants me to read The Very Hungry Caterpillar. As I start TVHC for the second time I see him eyes starting to close. He jolts himself awake a few time, but is so tired by the end of the book that he doesn’t notice that I’m just babbling on and on about butterflies and flowers until I feel that he’s really asleep.
11:35 First nap ever in his bed, without a pacifier. From starting to walk to bed at 10:30 to him actually being asleep a mere hour later at 11:35. Not bad…. Hopefully he stays asleep. I’m headed back to the living room for some ab exersizes without him crawling on me. (We did the ones with him as weight before nap)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1pm and he comes out to the living room with his plush Buzz. I tell him to go put Night Night Buzz away and to get Play Buzz. He smiles at me and does so. Yay for a decent nap ending in a good mood!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
At 8pm I had just gotten him out of his bath. I put his pajamas on him and put him in bed. Then I noticed his new plush Buzz wasn’t in bed. G, and I started looking. He wasn’t with the other toys, or in the dirty clothes hamper or in my room.. I was at a loss. As a last effort I checked his dresser drawers starting at the bottom. Buzz was in his top drawer… The hiding spot I had pulled him from at morning nap. Not only is Bean now tall enough to open it and put him away, but he had enough logic to think that’s where Buzz should be kept. Adorable.
We read books. Multiple books multiple times. It wasn’t putting him to sleep. After FOREVER I gave up and starting singing lullabies to him and rubbing his feet. That didn’t take too long to work. He was asleep, and I was out of his room by 9pm. There was some crying, but it was in short bursts, not the long chunk of time like morning nap.
He slept through until a little after midnight. Getting him back to sleep was no fun. I came in and shushed him and he was asleep in like 2 minutes. But he was up again in 2 minutes. Repeat. Finally I make it to bed (I had fallen asleep on the couch earlier)… Within 5 minutes he was out of bed and asking to join me. He was still up every few minutes for the next hour or so. Just having trouble self soothing. Then he slept straight through till 5:30am when we went back to that up for one minute every few minutes deal until we got out of bed at almost 7.
Not a GREAT first night, but definitely better than I had feared.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wednesday 4/27/11
11:30am. He’s ready for bed. We’ve had breakfast, gone shopping, played, went #2 on the potty (YAY!), had snack and played more. He climbs into bed with Cloth and Plastic Buzz. I show him soft and hard and kick Plastic Buzz out of his bed. He cries for like 30 seconds (hello, he’s tired) and stops. He tried to get me to read to him, but I’m not going that route for nap and bedtime. So I say no. He cries. I lay him down while crying and start singing lullabies. He’s out in 15 minutes. Barely any crying once I start singing. YAY!!!
8:00pm went to bed with minimal crying. About as much difficulty as any night he’s fighting sleep with the paci
He slept through until 4am. At that point he joined me in bed. Had a hard time getting back to sleep, but he did.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thursday 4/28/11
Morning nap was in the car. No pacifier. No crying. Fairly typical of him falling asleep in between errands. Not a long nap, since it was in the car. 45 minutes max. I am not sure exactly when he fell asleep.
Afternoon nap was about 2 minutes. He fell asleep in his high chair. I tried transferring him to bed, but that did not work. I’ve decide that he’s accepted no paci when he’s awake and going to sleep. The hard part for him seems to be when he’s semi-awake. That half asleep search for the pacifier before he remembers that it’s gone. That’s when his poor little heart breaks again and I hear the heart wrenching sobs. He woke himself up with his crying, and I couldn’t get him back to a restful state. So we just got up. Which worked out since it was time for me to start making dinner.
With the early and short morning nap, and the mess of an afternoon nap, he had no energy this evening. I put him in the bath at 8. After the bath I put his PJ’s on him, and we cuddled in his chair while I cut his nails. All 20 of them. Then I closed the clippers and he tried to cut his nails for a few minutes before I put them away. When he got into bed I read him The Very Hungry Caterpillar 3 times. Then we sang The Itsy Bitsy Spider until he fell asleep. I say WE there, because I tried switching it up to another song, and he starting singing and making the spider motions. When I stopped and asked if he wanted to sing Itsy Bitsy again he got a HUGE grin on his face and said YEAH very enthusiastically. Even with all of that it in the middle, I was sitting down to right this by 8:58. ZERO crying tonight. I love it!
------> Side note. Today was Amazing in general.
He sat quietly while I cut his hair this morning.
He climbed into his carseat (from outside the car) all by himself all day.
He smiled and chatted during all our errands (shopping, non toy or tasty treat related).
When I woke him up from his nap we were going to the Mall playland. He took turns and interacted with the other kids there.
He led me out the door and to a table to eat the snack we brought when he was hungry..
He happily walked around the mall with me to look at what Mommy wanted before going back to playland.
When he was ready to go home, he walked to the door and tried to leave. When I reminded him he needed his shoes, he came back put his shoes on, grabbed my hand and led me out.
After we ate lunch he “helped” me vacuum and sweep the floors.
When it was time for brother to get home we walked to the bus stop and he was all smiles and being attentive.
When we went for a bike ride to the playground he was giggling and talking. At the playground he was taking his turn and listening to me.
He ate dinner… Then going to sleep without crying.
An AWESOME day. I’m hoping for a repeat tomorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment